VCU Undergraduate Admissions Accepted Students

FAQs and forms

You may have some questions about what to do now that you have received your acceptance to Virginia Commonwealth University. Here you will find some answers to the most frequently asked questions about what you should do next.

How do I accept VCU’s offer of admission?

You can pay your tuition deposit online by credit card. Follow these instructions for submitting your tuition deposit online.PDF

If you’re receiving a scholarship or financial aid, you can request a waiver of your tuition deposit. You can download the Response form PDF or find it located in the front of your Accepted Student Handbook. Complete the form and return it to the Office of Admissions along with the appropriate documentation to support your request to waive the tuition deposit. Please be sure to send it to us by the May 1 deadline to ensure your space in our freshman class. If you have questions, email us at or call our office at (804) 828-1222 or (800) 841-3638.

How do I register for on-campus housing? Am I guaranteed a room on campus?

New VCU students may apply for on-campus housing online at beginning early April. Students who have been accepted to VCU and who wish to apply for on-campus housing must first submit their tuition deposit to the Office of Admissions in order to hold their space in the upcoming class. After doing so, students are urged to apply for on-campus housing as soon as the online housing application is available.

Room assignments are made based on the date that the online housing application is completed, not according to the date the student was accepted to VCU. Also, the sooner new students complete their online housing application, the better the chances that their housing preferences (residence hall, room style, specific roommate, etc.) will be honored. A nonrefundable online housing prepayment fee of $250 is required at the time of application. Payment of this fee is required to complete the housing application. Students entering the university on full scholarships and those students who may be experiencing financial hardship may request a deferment of the prepayment fee. Please visit the Residential Life and Housing website for information on how to make this request.

While it is our aim to house all freshmen seeking to live on campus, housing is not guaranteed, so students are encouraged to apply early. VCU has limited spaces available for transfer students wanting to live on campus.

Are students required to live on campus?

No, students are not required to live on campus. Some students prefer to commute from home, while others may choose to live in privately owned, off-campus housing. VCU’s Off-Campus Housing Service can help students find an apartment off campus, as well as provide additional information that students who do not live on campus may find useful.

How do I sign up for a dining plan?

Undergraduate students residing in university residence halls (other than students living in university apartments) are required to choose a dining plan from among several options. The 200-, 250- and 300-meal Block Plans allow a specific number of meals per semester and include Dining Dollars, which allow students to purchase meals tax-free at any VCU dining facility. Students living off campus have the option of purchasing dining plans as well. Visit VCU Dining Services for more information about dining plans.

How much do dining plans cost?

VCU offers several dining plan options for students to choose from, including plans for nonresidential students. Dining plans allow a guaranteed number of meals that can be used each semester and dining dollars allow students the option to purchase meals tax-free at any of the VCU dining facilities. Visit VCU Dining Services for more information.

Fall 2016 plan prices
300 Swipes + 100 Dining Dollars $2,200
250 Swipes + 300 Dining Dollars $2,135
250 Swipes + 175 Dining Dollars $2,010
200 Swipes + 300 Dining Dollars $1,960
200 Swipes + 150 Dining Dollars $1,810

What on-campus dining choices are available?

VCU's on-campus facilities offer students a variety of dining choices. Market 810 in the Shafer Court Dining Center on the Monroe Park Campus and Larrick Dining Center at the VCU Medical Center feature restaurant-style dining and serve pizza, soups and salads, home-style meals and made-to-order features, including pasta, vegetarian dishes and specialty wraps in addition to take-out. On-campus cafés serve diverse menu options such as coffees and blended beverages, fresh bakery treats and gourmet sandwiches to go, catering to the tastes and busy schedules of students. Visit VCU Dining Services for more information.

How do I register for classes?

Newly admitted students should attend New Student Orientation, which takes place during June, July and August. Please register for NSO at

Please note that in order to register for New Student Orientation, you must have accepted the university’s offer of admission by notifying the Office of Admissions that you plan to enroll at VCU in the fall. You may do so by submitting your Response form and the required tuition deposit. The Response form is available in the front of your Handbook for Accepted Students, or at PDF

During orientation, you’ll meet current VCU students and faculty members, receive academic advising and register for fall courses. Parents, other family members and guests are also offered an orientation to VCU during this time.

Is it too late to apply for financial aid?

There is still time to apply for financial aid. The priority filing date is March 1. Students who have not yet filed their Free Application for Federal Student Aid can and should file because they may qualify for some types of financial aid. Be sure to respond as quickly as possible to any information requests from the VCU Office of Financial Aid.

When will I receive my bill? Does VCU have a payment plan?

Bills for the fall 2017 semester will be available in the online billing and payment site at the beginning of August for students who have registered for fall classes. Students will be sent an email notification to their VCU email address when the online bills are available. Students with current charges of $100 or more are eligible to participate in the university’s Installment Payment Plan, offered during the fall and spring semesters. The plan distributes the cost of tuition, fees, room and board, and communications fee for the semester into four equal installments. The 2016-17 fee per semester was $25 (subject to change for 2017-18), paid with the first installment. The first installment for the fall semester is due before classes begin, with the remaining three installments due in October, November and December. For more information, visit the Student Accounting website.

How do I activate my VCU eID and e-mail account?

All VCU students are required to have a university eID and a university e-mail account. These are created automatically for all accepted students. Your e-mail address is your You can find your eID and set your initial password at You can set up your VCU e-mail account at

What if I decide I do not want to attend VCU during the semester I have been accepted? Can I attend the university during another semester?

Students who have been admitted to the university, but wish to postpone their enrollment can request to have their application reviewed again for admission consideration for a later semester. Students who postpone their enrollment to another semester should bear in mind that acceptance to the university in a later semester is not guaranteed.

Students who wish to postpone their enrollment to another semester should complete the Response form PDF located inside of the Handbook for Accepted Students, indicating their desire to have their application reconsidered for another semester, and return it to the Office of Admissions.

Students who choose to postpone their enrollment are required to submit an application reactivation form and may be asked to submit additional documentation.

Students may reactivate their application for up to one year from the date of their original application by contacting their application processor in the Office of Admissions. To determine who the appropriate application processor is and to obtain contact information, visit

While there is not an application fee required for reactivating an application, students who elect to be reconsidered for admission to VCU for a later semester forfeit their initial tuition deposit and if accepted to the university will be required to submit a second deposit for the semester in which they choose to enroll. The deadline for submitting an application reactivation is Nov. 1 for spring admission and Jan. 15 for fall admission. Some programs have additional requirements and deadlines. Check your program’s website for more information.

Can I change my major after being admitted?

Sure, you can change your major once you have been admitted to the university. If you want to change your major before attending New Student Orientation, an e-mail must be sent to the Office of Admissions at stating your full name, date of birth, the program that you were admitted into and the new program for which you wish to be considered.

If you wish to change your major after attending the New Student Orientation, visit Student Services Centers. Be sure to read and review procedures for changing your academic program and complete the Change of Major/Concentration/Minor form and submit it to the Office of Records and Registration in person at 1015 Floyd Ave., Harris Hall, First Floor or by mail to Box 842520, Richmond, Va. 23280.

Please be advised that certain programs — including those in the schools of the Arts, Business, Education, Mass Communications and the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies program — may require a candidate to fulfill additional requirements before authorization into a program is granted.

When do I need to submit my final transcripts?

According to the VCU Undergraduate Bulletin:

“When an applicant is tentatively accepted to the university, a final transcript is required to complete the individual’s admission file. If the official transcript is not received by the end of the fourth week of classes of the semester for which the student was accepted, an administrative hold will be placed on future registrations until the credentials are received establishing the student’s eligibility. The university reserves the right to rescind offers of admission if the final documents indicate that the applicant no longer satisfies the entrance requirements upon which acceptance was granted.”

There is a Final High School Transcript and Final College Transcript form PDF included in the front of your Handbook for Accepted Students that you can provide to your guidance counselor, who can forward your transcripts to VCU.

How do I cancel my offer of admission and housing contract?

To cancel an offer of admission, the applicant should submit a completed Response form indicating that they will not be attending the university for the semester in which they were granted admission. Remember that tuition deposits are non-refundable. Students wishing to cancel housing contracts should submit the Request to Cancel Form online at

Students wishing to cancel housing contracts should submit the Request to Cancel Form online at

Can I bring my car to campus?

Beginning with the Fall Semester 2017, VCU will employ a no car policy for first-year residential students to encourage the involvement of students in the first year on-campus experience. This procedure supports a pedestrian-friendly, residential campus, and helps reduce the campus carbon footprint. Exceptions will be considered for medical conditions, disabilities, employment, students who are over 21 years of age, military reservists and other extenuating situations. Official documentation must be provided and reviewed before any exceptions are granted. To apply for an exception, please contact the Dean of Students Office by phone at (804) 828-8940 or by email at

Parking decals cannot be purchased by other students for first year residential students. Violations of the policy may be pursued through the Student Code of Conduct and/or revocation of future parking privileges.

While most students won’t need to bring their cars to campus, for those who do, parking guidelines and rates and applications can be found through the Parking and Transportation Office.

When do I need to submit my student health form?

Student health forms should be completed by a licensed health care provider and must be submitted to the University Student Health Services Office by fax, (804) 828-1093, in- person at 1300 W. Broad St., Suite 2200 or by mail at Box 842022, Richmond, Va. 23284

These forms are due via the Student Health webportal within 30 days of the semester start in order to avoid having a hold placed on the student’s registration. The VCU Certificate of Immunization can be found at

What else is there to know?

You can’t say there’s nothing to do at VCU, and you definitely can't say that about Richmond. No matter what your interests, all you need to do is explore; you'll find that there's something here for you. Go to the VCU Things to Do site for some starting points.